Umkirch

Umkirch

Coat of arms

Umkirch

Location of Umkirch within Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald district 

Coordinates: 48°01′58″N 07°45′49″E / 48.03278°N 7.76361°E / 48.03278; 7.76361Coordinates: 48°01′58″N 07°45′49″E / 48.03278°N 7.76361°E / 48.03278; 7.76361

Country
Germany

State
Baden-Württemberg

Admin. region
Freiburg

District
Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald

Government

 • Mayor
Walter Laub

Area

 • Total
8.72 km2 (3.37 sq mi)

Population (2015-12-31)[1]

 • Total
5,400

 • Density
620/km2 (1,600/sq mi)

Time zone
CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)

Postal codes
79224

Dialling codes
07665

Vehicle registration
FR

Website
www.umkirch.de

Umkirch is a municipality in the district Breisgau-Hochschwarzwald in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is located around 5 kilometres west of Freiburg im Breisgau.

Contents

1 History
2 Church
3 Economy and infrastructure
4 Politics

4.1 Mayors
4.2 District Council
4.3 Sister cities

5 References
6 External links

History[edit]
The settlement has existed since Roman times (about 100 BC) and was called Ecclesia in Undis (Church beneath the Waves – maybe because of the two small rivers floating passing through the village). Sigillat shrds and coins were found and the church was built onto a Roman building, as a part of its wall was found.
When the Romans left in sixth century, Allemanian clans settled in Umkirch, ruled by the Lords of Üsenberg, a noble family. After they were vanquished, the family of Kageneck ruled the area. In 1806, Umkirch became part of the district of Freiburg.
Historically, it is first mentioned in 1087 in a document about the exchange of the monastery St. Ulrich in the Hexental (Witches’ Valley) between the Bishop of Basel, Burkard, and the Monastery of Cluny in France. A witness present at the deal is named as “Humbert de Untkilcha”. In 1270, Umkirch is given to the knight Dietrich Snewlin, later to several others, among them Martin Malterer, the count palatines of Tübingen and Flora Countess of Wrbna, until it was given to Grand Duchess Stephanie of Baden.
Part of Umkirch is the village of Dachswangen: in 1924 it became part of the village.
On April 20, 1945, Umkirch was occupied by the French after World War II. It was administered by governor Pierre Pène. During World War I, Umkirch los